Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Build The Fence...

Well, building a fence is a hell of a way to learn why skill triumphs knowledge any day.  I was building a fence for our newly acquired puppies, meaning horses. And, I was building this fence that I got started on, and that was about all I got done before I had to go back to work. So, we had some friends come over while I was away at work and finish it for me, meaning tear it down and completely rebuild it... correctly. I have never built a fence really, I don't count the chain link when I was living in town a few years ago. It turned out straight as a river and level as a mountain range. But, it served it's purpose and that's all I really cared for anyway. But, this time I wanted something nice that I was going to leave up for a day or two at least. Well, I spent a week and a half on this damn fence, and managed to not really get much of shit done on it. I was pretty much by myself on it, had a friend come help out for a couple of days, and momma help out when she could. But, other than that I was going solo on it. So, I'm putting along on this fence thinking I'm doing pretty decent. Not really good or excellent, but not really bad either. I get the H posts up, the T posts driven, and a strand of wire hung. Not forgetting, laying out the boundaries, and figuring out where the hell my property lines are took a day and a half. And, now our neighbour is having it surveyed to make sure our fence is not on his property. I'm sitting here thinking, if that fence line you already have up isn't your property line, the why the fuck did you put it there??? Well, the fence is supposed to be our property line anyway, and I'm ten foot off it. But, back to the rail. Anyway, I go to work and am out of town for the next seven days, my friends come over and help my wife finish the fence, read redo the fence. And, in one day the four of them to fix all my fuck ups, I would go into more detail but I don't have the time, and you'd get bored. And, basically build this damn fence. Which got me to thinking, that even though I have the basic knowledge, I don't really have the skill to be building fences. Childhood memories and YouTube will only get you so damn far. So, as I'm sitting here looking at my doggies and their new fenced in home, noticing how much shit they did that I had forgot needed to be done, I just have to say thanks and I just need to leave the post hole diggers to the professionals and fence artists.



1 comment:

  1. My grand father was an expert at building fences. He had an 600 acre farm so he kind of had to learn about fences. It is one of the skills I wish I had learned from him that I didn't get a chance to do so.

    ReplyDelete