Wednesday, December 15, 2010

The Blissful Cell

Now I remember when I was growing up, when you had something to tell somebody or somebody had something to tell you, you HAD to wait till both of you were home so you could call and tell them. And, then we got a answering machine, and we were high on the hog I tell ya. We went from not even knowing if anybody called to holy shit we have twelve messages, and to think we were only gone the weekend. Phone tag had just become a contact sport. Then during the evolution of the phone, came the bag phone and the "Brick" phone. Now, when you had one of these, you were surly "important", well you at least had a job that a portable phone was important, like a doctor, chief of police, fire chief, someone that it would actually benefit to have one for an emergency, or you just had too damn much money for you own damn good. Cruising in your overpriced convertible, talking to the poor sobs that were tied down by their land lines. A year or ten later you saw more people with portable or "cell" phones. Lawyers, nurses,  business owners and managers, and construction foremen had the ability to contact people at will. Beat cops, wrecker services, tool pushers, truckers, and others were easier to get a hold of instead of using the old CB style car phones of the eighties and nineties. But, even then it was kinda a big thing to have a cell phone, you had it for a reason. To make phone calls, hell they didn't even have texting capabilities then anyway. And, so the evolution goes, and they come up with sending mini-e-mails through your phone, and on to the world wide web or Internet. And, now you are hard pressed to find someone without a cell phone. Hell, most of my daughter's friends have cell phones, and they're in the pre-teen range, ten to twelve years old. Now I don't know what business a twelve year old kid had with a cell phone, but when I was in school the only students that had pagers were drug dealers. But, I digress. And, now you see people sitting at the Chinese buffet stuffing their faces with Crab Rangoon, Sweet and Sour Chicken, Fried Rice, and Pepper Beef chatting about how they improved their handicap from 130 to 118 and planing their next Golf outing, with who the hell knows. It's getting to where you can't even take a shit without hearing someone in the next stall talking on their cell. Is figuring out what kind and how many dognuts you need for the next staff meeting so damn important you can even expel your lunch before you have to hash it out? Or was the dress Jenny wore today that ugly that you can't get make it home three blocks away, that you have to call Tammie as soon as you shut your car door? Do you really think I want to hear the tell tell splash and plunk from your end when your on the pot while you call me. Yes, I have a cell phone, and yes I keep it with me for the most part. But, I've gotten where I don't even take it into a restaurant with me, and if momma has her cell I usually leave mine at home now. Now, I'm not trying to say I'm better than anybody because of this, I'm just saying for me I'm cutting the invisible cord, and freeing up my busy time. If I'm running errands, I don't want to have to make and take calls for other crap while I'm busy doing this other crap. I don't want to be tied down by my cell phone, when I go camping, I don't want to decide where I pitch my tent based on how many bars I have, I won't. I'm just working my way back to the simpler times of when we just had land lines, but still have the convenience of my cell just in case I do something stupid and roll my Bronco or something. You know for and EMERGENCY, which is why most people justify a cell in the first place, and more so when they buy their kid a four hundred dollar I-Phone.

Refrence.com-Dictionary.com
http://www.reference.com/browse/mobile+phone

Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_mobile_phones

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side.
Aristotle



Read more: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/a/aristotle.html#ixzz18C0bfKCb

5 comments:

  1. Jeff,
    You aren't alone on this thinking of cell phone with young kids. Yes, I too have one but I don't think that when you go out to eat or camping that cell phones need to be heard. Gosh, I like my perfect cell phone for little ones....2 tin cans & a long string! Redneck but alot of fun for hours!!!LOL! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just seen your blog on Craigslist and will have to say what I have seen so far is interesting. I have started a blog myself just to right down some of my day to day trials in life. It's not any specific just some of my ramblings about life and my current and past health. Nice bike by the way. Love the black pipes. I don't have a bike, but would love to. Just don't know how to ride.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will have to say the cellphone stuff is driving me crazy. From my kids punching on the keys all day and all night to my wife texting me and wanting to have a conversation. If you want a conversation then call. Plus everyone knows on my days off I do not go anywhere. Not even down the street. I am always home. If I don't answer our landline they immediately call my cell. Just pisses me off. If I wanted to talk I would have answered or I am doing something else. Can't even go to the crapper anymore without it going off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am 53. I got my first cellphone in June of 2010 for $20 at a dollar store. I got it for emergencies as I was living in the back of my van then and my van was breaking down all the time. Besides, everyone else had one.

    I used up the "free" 200 minutes it came with pretty quick. I then bought some more and I have hardly ever used it since then cuz it is for EMERGENCIES.

    I use it so infrequently that I don't even use up my minutes by the time they expire so I have to keep buying more (for $15/month) to keep my phone active and available for EMERGENCIES.

    So, after a few weeks of living in the back of my van, I rented a place. I still hardly ever use my phone cuz it's for EMERGENCIES. Besides, I grew up on landlines and if I have something to say to someone then I prefer to say it to their face. I still "dial the number" if I have to call someone.

    I also grew up when there were only three channels on the TV; and they weren't even on 24 hours a day. There is so much shit on television today, including "governmental" propaganda on the TV news and faggy subliminals in fast food commercials, that I got rid of my TV too. I considered taking it out and "killing" it but I wised up and sold it instead.($$$)

    Why do you think they call it "programming?"

    ReplyDelete