Tuesday, February 8, 2011

COMING SOON! To A Country Road Near You.... ME!

Put a down payment on a place near my home town of Chickasha yesterday. Pretty nice place, twenty one hundred square foot of mobile/manufactured/trailer home, with redwood decks, forty by forty shop, and nearly two acres. So, it's off to the packing races, but with turtles, we're looking to move in May, let the girls finish out the school year here. While we were out at the place looking around and talking with the neighbours I realized something that I thought was funny. And, that is exactly what perspective is. I spent the first five years of my life on a three hundred acre farm, and the following ten helping my grandpa with chores on the remaining plots he had, one one hundred acre farm on the Washita River, and a couple plots of twenty and forty that we would tend to, he always liked to keep enough land to hold five or six steers. And, even when we moved into town, we moved into a town of fifteen thousand people, yup a small city, but still small enough where we had big 4H and agriculture clubs/classes/memberships what ever you want to call them. Most of the kids I went to school with in Chickasha their parents had land, or their grand parents did. They partially grew up on farms or ranches at the least.

My wife, grew up in towns and cities. Mostly in the Oklahoma City area, and a few years in the Phoenix, AZ and a few years in Watertown, NY. Don't know much about Watertown, but the OKC metro has around three million bodies in it, and I know Phoenix has quite a few more than that. So, we have had different experiences growing up, to say the least.

I noticed how different our upbringin' was while we were out looking at the place we're moving into.
To her two and a half acres is some land, to me it's a big yard. She thinks the sound of coyotes is disturbing, I think the sound of semi's running down the interstate is disturbing. We're a half mile from the city limits, and about three miles from Chickasha proper, to her we're out in the boonies, to me we're on the outskirts of town. The area we're moving to is a hundred acre field that's been divided into two to six acre lots, to her that's out in the country, to me we're in a neighbourhood. It just stuck me as funny how different we were raised. There's nothing wrong with how either of us were raised. It's just different. Personally, I've lived here for a year and a half, and I'm still not used to the interstate traffic, and other city noises. And, I know it'll take her a while to get used to the country noises like the coyotes howlin' the wind blowin, and the crickets chirpin, maybe a bobcat holler every once in a while. And, while she adjusts, I'll be right there with her sippin my whiskey, howlin back at the coyotes. And, doing what I can to make the change as easy as I can on my baby doll.

4 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you mean! I grew up in a Californian city, and it took me a good little while to get used to living outside of Okarche, where I am now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the house, Jeff! I was born and raised a city boy, but I have since seen the error of my ways and corrected them. A pack of coyotes live in a field near our place, and I love to hear them at night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is pretty nice to have a place where you can just kind of chatter, get some stuff out of your head, even if no one ends up reading it, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our differences make us so very inseperable! I love that you care how I will adjust. You are such my wonderful husband. Can't wait to see my dirty, handsome man coming home to me on that country road, from a day of work on the rig. I love you always.

    ReplyDelete