Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Gettin A Bit Antsy

Yup, I said it. I'm getting antsy. Haven't had the chance to ride in quite some time now, and it's getting on me nerves. Wheather just hasn't permitted any good riding with the gear I have. If I had some of the plug in underware I'd be on my bike every day, but I don't so I'm not. I'll be glad when it starts getting warmer so I can start my riding season this year. Churning down the road on two wheels offers a freedom that you can only feel from one other ride I've ever been on. And that's on horseback on a lonely trail. It's just you and the world in either instance. You can't get the same feeling from a convertible car, or on a plane, or anywhere at all. The motorcycle was modeled after the horse and it seems that would be good cause for the feelings of freedom to be so similar. If you haven't nocied that a bikes riding position is a reflection of the horse riding styles of the country they're initially built from. Harley's and Indians have a relaxed, feet under or in front of the seat/saddle. Aprillia's, BMW's, Triumph's, and Japanese bikes have a more upright or forward leaning with the feet behind the rider postitions. And, yes I'm aware that most motorcycle makers have adopted the American Cruiser style in their line ups. You have to look at the first bikes these companies produced, not ones that have came about since the seventies. They are reflective of the popular saddle set up they use on their horses. And, If you know horses and work with them you will notice that a Triumph and an English saddle have a very similar seating postition. Same with a Harley and a Western saddle. The American Cruiser style is more suited to my tastes, just laid back and relaxed going nowhere in paticular, just going to be going. For me the journey is the reason I ride not the destination. I go to great lengths to avoid major highways especially our wonderful Interstate System. Yes, I have topped out my bike, hit the governer at a hundred and ten miles per hour. It was a blast, and yes being a thirteen hundred cubic centemeter or in American eighty cubic inch it's pretty darn quick off the throttle. So, yup I'm getting a bit restless wanting to go for a nice long ride. And, untill then I'll just have to bear with myself. Weather you ride a flesh and bone or iron horse, keep the hoves to the ground and the rubber down. And, get your fix when you can.

1 comment:

  1. Hope the weather cooperates for you soon, Jeff. I occasionally toy with the idea of getting another bike, but I know I'm a fair weather rider, and, frankly, we don't get much fair weather up this way. So I'm happy to stick with my horse.

    ReplyDelete