Tuesday, January 25, 2011

A Little Story Part 1

The time was getting late in the evening, curtains of rain drowning the sun. Heading east on 40, to where she didn't know. She decided, she was going there, where ever there was. There was nothing wrong in her life, she just wanted a bit of a vacation. Just to relax.
  "Mom, I'm going away for a little while. I'm not sure where yet, but I'll call when I get there."  Her mother wasn't exactly excited to hear this news, but she knew that trying to persuade her not to go was useless. "Ok, honey. Just be careful. Are you going alone?" Referring as to weather she was going with her boyfriend, Charles or not. You know how mothers can be. "I don't know yet, I would like Charles to come with me, but at the same time, I would like to be by myself. I don't know, mom." She knew that he would go at the drop of a hat, if she asked. He would worry if she went alone. She had to think about it for a while. "I'll call him before I get out of town, after I make up my mind." she thought to herself. "Well, I'm headed out mom. I will call." "Ok, dear. Just be careful." "I will mom. Love you." "Love you too, Chastity."
  "Hello." said the man on the other end of the phone. She hesitated a bit. "Hello." It was Charles, she had called him, not knowing exactly what to say. "Hey baby." "Hey honey. How are you doing." "Oh, I'm fine. I was just wanting to hear your voice. Hey. You got anything going this weekend?" "No, not really. Nothing for certain anyway. Why?" "Well, I'm headed out of town till Monday, and was wondering if you wanted to go?" "Where you going?" "Not sure yet." "Hell, sure I'll go. When do you want me to pick you up?" "I'll pick you up in about twenty." "Oh, ok. I'll be in the shower. You can use your key." "Ok, baby. I'll see you then." "Ok, see you then. Love you." "Love you too." she thought she could go without him, and really, she could. She just felt safer with him there.
  He was her protector. He had been arrested before, on a number of occasions, for defending her. Fucking idiots, some guys just don't listen when you tell them to leave you alone. She had met Charles at a club in Bricktown. Wasn't a bouncer, just a guy hanging out with his buddies. Some dickhead, that thought he was the shit. Had tried to pick her up, an when she declined, he got real pissy with her. Charles, was sitting a couple of tables down from her friends and her. He over heard part of what was going on, when prick started getting louder with her, Charles started watching them. Charles, didn't like a man treating a woman like that. His dad was abusive to his mother and them. He, promised himself that he would not stand for any of that as an adult, and he didn't. So, he went over to prick and said, "Back the fuck off. She said to leave her alone, so take her advice." "Fuck you. I'll whip your ass and hers too." Something prick shouldn't have said. Charles didn't say a work, he just leveled the bastard with a swift punch in the throat. "My apologies, ladies." Then walked back to his table. A few people had seen what happened. And, since Charles was a regular at the club and knew the manager, the police were left out of it.
  Chastity thought about that night for a while. A few weeks later, she asked the bartender about him. That's when she found out his name, and when he was most likely to be there. The Saturday night after, she was there waiting. She wasn't expecting to fall for the guy, just wanted to thank him, and get to know him a bit. "Hi, I'm Chastity. I don't know if you remember me or not. But a few weeks ago you helped me out with this prick that wouldn't leave me alone." "Chastity.... Hum. I remember. How you been?" "Good." "Good." "So... Why did you do that, and then not really say anything to us?" " I wasn't trying to pick you up or anything. I just can't stand that kind of behavior." "I want to thank you for it though." "None necessary...  Chastity, was it?" "Yea." "What you having?" a waitress interrupted. "I'll have a Bud, you?" "Oh, uh... I'll have a Strawberry Daiquiri... Thank you." "Welcome." They talked till closing, he walked her to her car. She gave him her number. He returned in kind.
  She took her key out of her purse, and walked up to the door. She would never forget the night she met him, nor that second night. She was happy  their paths had crossed. It didn't seem like damn near six months. They had been through a lot in only six months. He was laid back, but some things he just didn't put up with. She had bailed him out a few times already. He wouldn't let her pay for it, but she had to do the paperwork. He never got cross with her, and neither she him. But, he didn't let a man treat a woman bad. And, it got him in trouble, a lot of trouble. Scared, it scared her when she found out he had been in prison. Spent five years in Big Mac, for assault. But, after she found out why, she relaxed quite a bit. His brother, David, told her what happened. He had damn near killed his father for beating their mother. He didn't regret it, just wish he had the balls to have done it sooner. He was very adamant about that. He was also very... Determined...  that he would not let another man treat a woman that way in his presence.
   When it came to her, he was gentile as a spring rain. She had been through a lot, too. Her first real, live in, boyfriend, had hit her, and she liked the fact that he wouldn't put up with anything like that. "No," she thought, "I love it." He reminded her of her dad. When, he found out that David, her ex, had been hitting her. He beat the hell out of him and left him for dead. In a ditch, on some dirt back road in the middle of the country. Her ex lived, but didn't even try to contact her again. So, she loved him for that. Charles was her blessing. Charles thought the same of her.
  She unlocked the door, she could hear the shower running. A grin flashed across her face. Quietly she crept down the hall, once in his room, she shed her clothes. And snuck into the bathroom, watched him for a while from around the corner. She was sure he didn't know she was there. Like a ghost she floated to the shower and stepped in. "Damn, baby. You startled the fuck out of me!" "Prove it." She said in a low wanting voice. He kissed her, and she melted into his arms. She always melted when he kissed her. He run his had down the small of her back, caressing her with the care of a father holding his newborn baby. She slid her hand to his hip and pulled him close, letting him know.
  "I love you," she told him. "I love you too," he answered. "I just have to get a few more things together, and I'll be ready...  Three days, right?" "Till Monday sometime." "Ok... I think I got every thing." "I guess you're ready then." "Yea." He grabbed his bag and sat it by the door. Turned around, grabbed her, and with passion God could not even fathom, he kissed her. She felt she was the only person in... Time. The only person in time. He had that effect on her. "I love you, Chastity." He picked up his bag and went out the door. Closing the trunk, "You want me to drive?" "No, I will. I don't know where we're going yet." "That scares me. I don't know if I should let you have that kind of control over me or not. No telling what you have in mind. Hell, you might have joined some cult or something, and taking me to a suicide camp or some shit." Laughing, "Maybe. You'll find out in due time." "I will?" "You will." Tears coming to their eyes they got in the car. She liked that he never got too serious about their relationship. They loved each other and, they could joke and talk about anything.
  "little pink houses for you and me, for you and me... ooo yea  little pink houses... for you and me." "I love that song" He was singing, she always laughed at his singing, not because he couldn't sing, and he couldn't but he didn't really try. He would usually try to not sing, and just be goofy. She was happy. "come on baby hit me one more time." "Oh god, Lets change it." "What you want to listen to?" "Try, King Country. See what's on there." she responded. "I'm shameless, darlin I don't have a prayer, every time I see you standing there, I fall down upon my knees." "Yea, that'll work." "Good song," Charles started singing. Chastity, laughing. Laughing so hard, she nearly ran off the road. "Oh... baby. You're fucking nuts. You know that." "Why do you say that?" "Because, not only do you do this in the car and at home, but you'll do it at the bar. And, you don't care who's watching, or uh. listening, should I say. Do you do this shit at work?" "Haa-haa," Charles laughing. It was a good time, but all time was good when she was with him.
   They had just passed Seminole, headed east on 40. "Damn construction, they're always working on something here." "Yea, I know. I have to come through here once a week. It fucking sucks." "Yea," "Where stuck here in Atlanta and there's beer in Texarcana, and we'er gonna bring it back no matter what it takes. east bound and down loaded up and truckin." Hell yea, east bound and down, lay that hammer down." Chastity floored it. they were running about a hundred and ten. Charles didn't mind he knew she was an accomplished driver, and if she could handle his exotic, this Mustang wasn't shit. He kicked back and "Were gonna bring it back no matter what it takes, east bound and down loaded up and truckin." She just grined, he looked at her and smiled.
  About midnight they stopped on the side of the road. Walked out onto the bridge. Looking across the lake. "A full moon, reflecting across a lake this big with time worn mountians for a frame, compares not to your beauty, dear." "Oh, stop it, Charles." "I mean it." She knew she was a pretty woman, but still her modesty overcame. It embarrassed her when he talked like that. She didn't know how to handle it, wasn't used to it. She might never get totally used to it either. But, she would try. "Let's get a room at Fountianhead." "Sounds good. We passed the exit off I-40 a few miles ago though." "Oh, we will just take 69 to Texanna." "Yea, we can do that. I'm not really tired but it's a ways to the next decent rooms." "Yea, I know. It's kinda the long way around, but I figured we could run over to Eufaula, and get a bite to eat." "That'll work," he replied. He was getting hungry, he was fixin to go get something to eat when she called earlier. And, he hadn't eaten since breakfast that morning. "You want to drive from here?" "Sure, you trust me with that bad boy?" "Fuck you. You drive that damn, 550 Mondena every weekend. And, you're asking me if I think you can handle a fucking Shelby. Just damn well drive." "Ok, baby. Love ya." "Bite me." "When we get back to the resort." "You think?" "I was." "We'll see." Laughing he put it in first and took off. "And the road becomes my bride. I have stripped of all but pride, so in her I do confide." ... "any where I may roam,  where I lay my head is home, yea." They said little untill they got to town. They found a place to eat, a little twenty-four hour fast food shop. they, sat and talked while they ate. Remembered that first night. Talked about some things that happened when they had went out. Talked about the president and the war. About music, and what ever came to mind.
  Oh shit. I didn't realize it was this late. I'll have to continue another time. I've enjoyed your stay. Hope you enjoyed my story, thus far. I'll have more in the choice of beverages and snacks next time. Bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment