Tuesday, February 12, 2013

A Bit Of A Dreary Day

We got some rain/snow/slush here this morning and it's turned into more of a rain at the present. And, of course, I had an interview in Oklahoma City, about thirty miles away, at nine this morning. I don't mind driving in the rain and snow, not crazy about ice though, and as usual I try to be safe and watch the road conditions, other drivers, and things of the sort that you're supposed to under ideal conditions, and even more so during bad weather. So, I'm driving up the Interstate going about ten miles under the speed limit of seventy five, and I had people passing me like I was going forty. It seems like people rely too much on the technology of their vehicles, like expecting it to stop when they want it to. And, with most cars with decent rubber, they will, even in wet conditions. But, if you hit a deep pool of water, or a rut that's worn more than the rest of the road. Well, you're in for a helluva ride. At one point of the drive, I said to my wife, "I think people forget what the effect of water on any given surface is." Her reply was that people don't have a lot of experience driving on wet roads around here, which is true. And, I mentioned that they have to take showers at least every few days, and I presume they easily forget that their hands slide down their arms much more easily when they're wet, than when dry. I may have come across as a bit of a dick, judging by her reaction, though it wasn't intentional. But, people seem to lose their damn minds when the weather turns bad here. I think they just think that their traction control, ABS, all-weather tires, and other shit they put on cars now-a-days to keep idiots from killing themselves and others will save them and work just as good on wet roads as it does on dry roads. Technology has helped us greatly, making things easier and safer, but it should not replace your damn common sense. I am starting to believe that technology is beginning to handicap us in ways that aren't completely apparent just yet. As humans, I believe that we are starting to rely on technology too much to do things for us that we used to have to think about and prepare for in the past.

After we got home, I was on the back porch smoking and watching it rain and I thought about what would happen if for some reason technology ceased to exist. Say, if all the coal and oil deposits dried up, and we only had what we had currently on had to run on. For example, you filled your car up yesterday afternoon, and there wasn't any fuel for it today. And, the power plants quit working overnight. No electricity, no gas, no cell phones, no phones at all, no computers or Internet. How would we, as humans, cope? How many of us would survive more than a few months? How many don't know how to build a fire and cook over it? I was watching my dogs through this, and realized that, if I turned them out and never gave them kibble again, they would grow and reproduce and they would continue on like it wasn't shit. I can only think of one animal that would be vastly impacted if technology was to disappear, and that's us humans. As a species, we'd be up shit creek without a paddle while it's flooding.

Which leads too...
Kinda...

I was searching the Internets looking for a website to learn some manly outdoorsy skills, basically stuff to be able to go out and live off the land without having shit but my clothes on. One that also had stuff on being manly domestic. And, I had a hard time finding one I liked, that had everything I was looking for. A man's site so to speak. The best ones I came across were set up and covered that didn't matter to me. They concentrated on one main demographic, either the "Upper Middle Class", the "Down Home Country Boy", or "College Guys Looking For Some Tang/Wanna Be Twenty Somethings That Are Really Too Damn Old To Be Out Clubbin" And, I personally don't fit into the GQ or Men's Health or Maxxim or Backpacker magazine demographics. The only magazine that is geared toward men (that isn't geared toward cars, trucks, or motorcycles) that I like to read is Field & Stream, and it doesn't have advice and tips on how to me manly or stuff like that, it's about how to catch a damn fish, and kill deer and other animals for food, and their website is pretty much the same.

So, I'm looking into starting my own website that will feature what I want, and have information that people like me want and need. Ya' know manly shit. Yet, stuff that women can relate too also. I don't want it to be all Tim Taylor, grunting, beer, camshafts, and souped up power tools. I want something that a man will read and think damn that is manly, but a woman can read and say these people understand. But, more geared towards men.

Because, DAMN IT! It's the mans damn job to take care of the women folk and kidrens when technology goes to shit.

No comments:

Post a Comment